Friday, August 22, 2014

My first quilt

Welcome to our new blog series where we're featuring the first quilt made by guild members. Today it's Kayla, our guild president. Enjoy!


I made this quilt in 2007. I didn't know anyone who quilted, but I thought I may enjoy it. I was really looking for something to give me short breaks between my research at the time. 

I learned a lot from this quilt. It's best not to make your first quilt with tiny 1.5x3" flying geese. It's best to iron. Lots of prints are not great. It's nice to have different tones. Flannel backs may not be best for a cotton top. Flannel bindings are even worse. I also learned the difference between piecing and quilting because at the time I had no idea that a machine could sandwich the layers together, so this quilt is actually tied. 


We call it the ugly quilt, but cannot seem to part with it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment