Thursday, August 7, 2014

My First Quilt

Welcome to a blog series where we feature members and their first quilt, ever! Enjoy! Today it's me, Lindsey.

I have been knitting since freshman year in high school, and I got a sewing machine for Christmas when I was in my 20s, because I saw that many knitters sewed linings for bags or similar small projects related to their knitting. I had seen Amy Butler fabric around, and I thought it was so cool, but I never knew what to do with it!  

In 2006 I moved to a small town in Montana for the summer, and there wasn't a knitting shop, but I wandered into the quilt shop one day thinking maybe they could help me fill that crafting need. The woman there was so helpful, sent me away with a new cutting mat, rotary cutter, a few yards of batik fabric, and a log cabin quilt pattern that was literally written for little kids. After spending a few hours with my sewing machine manual (I had no idea that sewing machines needed bobbin thread! I never took home ec., I had never used a sewing machine before), I was up and running. I knew right away that for all this effort, the quilt would be gifted to someone who would really appreciate it, so I gave it to my grandma. Grandma was quilter and also sewed a lot of clothing for her family. I visited her this summer, and made sure to get some pictures.

My very first quilt

Grandma and I

After making that quilt, and two more for Christmas gifts for my family that year, I didn't sew again until I moved here to Bend. I was shopping for yarn at the Stitchin' Post in 2011 and saw a quilting class for that weekend. I figured I could fake my way through it (after all, I had figured out my bobbin!). It was that fall that I discovered the Modern Quilt Guild, and the rest is history! 

No comments:

Post a Comment